20100421

The spoon: A Lesson on how Consultants can make a difference in an Organization. 

  Last week, we took some friends to a new restaurant - 'Steve's Place,' and noticed that the waiter who took our order, carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. 

  It seemed a little strange. When the bus boy brought our water and utensils, I observed that he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. 
  Then I looked around and saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets. When the waiter came back to serve our soup I inquired, 'Why the spoon?' 


'Well,'he explained, 'the restaurant's owner hired Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) to revamp all of our processes/procedures. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon was the most frequently  dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. 


If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 man-hours per shift.' 

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he replaced it with his spare. 'I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now.' I was impressed. 
  I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly. 


 Looking around, I saw that all of the waiters had the same type of string hanging from their flies. So, before he walked off, I asked the waiter, 'Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?' 


 'Oh, certainly!' Then he lowered his voice - 'Not everyone is so observant, he said. That consulting firm I mentioned, also learned that we can save time in the restroom.


 By tying this string to the tip of our you-know-what, we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39%.'
  I asked quietly, 'After you get it out, how do you put it back?'


'Well,' he whispered, 'I don't know about the others, but I use the spoon.'
 


No comments: